Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Pet Telethon

Sunday night Mom went to the TV station so she could be in the Kansas City Pet Telethon, which is a thing the Humane Society does every year to make a bunch of money for the homeless dogs and cats.  Mom got to be on TV three times, and my brothers and I got to stay home and watch.

A lot of the dogs from the shelter were on TV, and some were on a whole bunch of times.  There was a litter of bichon frise puppies who were 13 weeks old, and all of them had names that started with "J."  Of course, everyone thought they were totally adorable because puppies are always totally adorable.  In my opinion, they weren't as cute as basenji puppies, but I guess they were cute enough to be on the telethon.

The reason why this whole litter of 6 puppies came to the Humane Society was because their breeder had cancer, and she got really sick and had to go to someplace called "hospice."  So the puppies have been living in foster homes, and last week they got spayed and neutered, so they are all ready to be adopted now.

Anyway, the first time Mom was on TV, she was holding a puppy named Jerry.  But I don't have a picture of that, so you will just have to use your imagination.  And then the second time she was on TV was when Aunt Karen, who plays the violin, was giving the Humane Society a great big check for a bunch of money that the musicians in the orchestra donated.  Mom was holding a dog named Bianca, who is a dog I told you about not too long ago, and guess what!  Bianca has been adopted, and she went to her new home yesterday.


And then the third time that Mom was on TV, she had another one of those puppies, and this puppy's name was Jill.  Here's a picture of Mom being on TV with Jill.  Mom is the one sitting on the floor on the right-paw side of the picture.  She did not have to say anything on TV, she just had to hold a dog and look cute.  In fact, I think it was probably because Mom looked so cute on TV that so many people called and donated money.  At the end of the telethon there was a total of over $168,000 that got raised for the poor, homeless dogs and cats, so that was good.

There were lots of volunteers at the telethon besides Mom, and even though she was probably the cutest one there, everybody was helping to raise money for the shelter.  Here's a volunteer named Ron who got in the puppy pen so he could hold three puppies at once.

And this is a picture of Mom's friend, Aunt Barbara, holding Poppi, the one-eyed chihuahua.  Except Poppi is looking back over his shoulder, so you can't see that he only has one eye.

Oh, and maybe I should mention that all of these photos were taken by Aunt Lauren, who works at the Humane Society, and I have met her in person, and she is very nice, and she is also a loyal follower of my blog, so I didn't think she would mind if I used some of her photos.  Thanks, Aunt Lauren!



Mom said there was a lot of yummy food at the telethon for the volunteers to eat, but she didn't bring any home for us, which I think was not very nice of her.  There was a cake shaped like a bone, but it was not a cake for dogs, even though it looked like it should be for dogs.  And there was pizza and there were burritos from Chipotle.  Mom brought home one of the burritos that didn't get eaten, but she didn't give it to us.  Instead, all she did was put it in the fridge and say she would eat it later herself.  Sometimes I think I need to get a new mom, but maybe that would be more trouble than it's worth.

So anyway, that's all I know to tell you about the telethon.  But now I will tell you that on Saturday Mom was in a St. Patrick's Day parade which the Humane Society was in.  Mom had Poppi, the chihuahua, and she carried him part of the way, but he also walked part of the way.  Here's a picture from the parade, and in it you can see the head of the 40-foot-long dachshund that it takes, like, 9 people to carry.  And way over on the left side of the photo, you can see a little bit of Mom, who is wearing a blue jacket and blue pants.  She had green on under the blue, but it was really drizzly and cold, so she did not want to take her jacket off.  

Personally, I was happy I didn't have to walk in the parade because my feet would have got wet, and also Mom said it was very noisy, which means I would have been scared and Mom would have had to carry me.  And Mom says she would not want to carry me in a whole parade because I weigh lots more than a chihuahua!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin