Monday, May 24, 2010

"The Hair of the Dog"

This is a really, really old phrase that goes all the way back to the time of Mr. William Shakespeare or maybe even farther back than that.  In the beginning, this phrase got invented because people thought that if you were bitten by a dog, you could put a few hairs from that same dog in the wound, and that would keep you from getting rabies.  Which is not really true, as we know nowadays, but back then, people believed lots of strange things.

Later on, the phrase started being used to talk about curing a hangover, which is what you get if you drink too much.  The way you know you have a hangover is you get a really bad headache and you might feel like puking and you will just feel yucky all over.  Or at least this is what I have heard about hangovers.  Personally, I have never had a hangover, but one time I drank too much water too fast and puked it up.  That's not the same thing, though.

But getting back to the "hair of the dog," some people think that if you get drunk on, like, vodka, then you can cure your hangover by drinking some more vodka.  Maybe these people are right, but maybe not.  At least this is not the kind of cure that a doctor would tell them to use.

In Mexico, some people get rid of their hangovers by eating boiled tripe.  I really like tripe, and we dogs get venison tripe every day with our food.  This tripe comes out of a can, so I don't know it if has been boiled or not.  And in case you don't remember what tripe is, I will just mention that it is the extremely yummy grass and sort of digested stuff that comes out of an animal's stomach.  It's really, really good, so you might want to eat it even if you don't have a hangover.

The ancient Romans used to cure their hangovers by eating deep-fried canaries.  This sounds incredibly tasty to me, so I am going to ask Mom to make us some.  The Greeks used to eat sheep lungs to cure hangovers.  And to prevent them, they ate boiled cabbage, which does not sound nearly as good.

But if you want my opinion, I think the best thing to do is to not get a hangover in the first place, and you can do this by not drinking a whole lot.  Of course, this is easy for me to say since I am too young to drink anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin